Dad Startles Entire Restaurant With Reaction to Gender Reveal

Patrick and McKenna Hartmann are already parents to a daughter, and learned they were expecting baby number two. 

They chose to have a simple gender reveal at a local restaurant by cutting into a cake. During a now viral video, McKenna explained the moment as one "we'll never forget!"

"The reaction just came naturally. I feel like I need a boy to be able to keep up with our little girl Maverick!"

When the two cut into the cake revealing the blue frosting, Patrick erupted into a yell that alerted the entire restaurant. He jumped up and even pounded the table as McKenna tried to reel him in.


"When we cut into that cake and saw blue, it was such a surreal moment. I was just in pure shock and so incredibly happy at the same time!"

"What you can't see in the video is that when Patrick hits the table, it actually made a wine glass pop up and break at the stem, spilling wine all over my dad! So when you see me in the video trying to reign him in, that's what just happened!

She also noted that yes, they are already parents to a daughter, but girls ran in each family.

"We never imagined we'd have a boy with nothing but girls on both sides of our family. I have two sisters, he has three sisters, and our first child is a girl, so we didn't have high hopes for any boys, to be honest. 🤣."

"The whole restaurant was very confused and concerned until Patrick announced that it was a boy, and everyone started applauding. It's something I'll never forget."


From her perspective, McKenna said "We didn’t find out what we were having when I was pregnant with our first. Patrick swore it was a boy and called her a 'he' up until the literal moment our daughter was born!"

"After that, he lost the little hope he had for a boy in our family! Until this day 💙."

"Going into the gender reveal, I had this little thought in the back of my head that if it somehow was a boy, that it was going to be a disaster because I knew how excited Patrick would be."

"I remember saying to my mom, who coordinated the reveal for us, 'What if it is a boy? Do you think it's a good idea to do this in public?' We both just laughed about it because I wasn't too concerned."

The baby boy is expected to arrive in January, joining big sister Maverick.


"I never imagined I'd be a boy mom. The fact that we get to give my sweet daughters a brother is just such a huge blessing. She's a ball of energy and to give her the gift of growing up with a brother, I think, is so special. We couldn't be more excited!"

See the video of the moment down below:

Viral Video

Comments