Down Syndrome Teen Named Miss Congeniality

An 18-year-old girl has made history by becoming the first Down Syndrome contestant to compete in the Miss Teen USA competition. 

Kayla Kosmalski headed to Los Angeles to compete, after she was named Miss Delaware Teen USA in April this year.

“I want to show the world that people with Down syndrome can do anything. The experience was amazing – and I loved to be on stage. I want to show little girls that they can dream big."

Kayla competed in her first pageant when she was five years old. 

“I like to show my passion, my energy, my attitude. I just love pageants!”

She recently graduated high school and will soon start college at Wilmington University, set to major in communications. 


Additionally, she made her school's National Champion cheerleading team. 

She revealed she wants to be an actress, an activist, and a motivational speaker.

Kayla is also the 2024 Ambassador for Hearts of Joy International, which provides life-saving heart surgery for Down Syndrome babies.

Finally, she has fought for several laws, including 'Kayla's Law.' This was named after her and helps Americans with disabilities achieve financial independence. 


The executive state director of the Miss Delaware USA and Miss Delaware Teen USA, Vincenza Carrieri-Russo said, "This is only the beginning. She’s going to conquer the world. Look what she’s done already. I see such a bright future.”

Kayla unfortunately didn't win the title, however, she was named 'Miss Congeniality.' 

“Because I love everything about myself. I want to let everyone know to dream big, be brave, be strong, be yourself and keep shining brightly!”

Comments