Holly McDonald Pushing Through After Serious Car Accident

 

CREDIT: Bruce Wicks

Holly McDonald is now in her final year of high school volleyball.

"I don't think I've come to grips with it yet. I think it feels unbelievable."

On September 9th, last year Holly was driving to Eureka High School in Illinois, when her car was rear-ended into a construction site.

The car became totalled and Holly suffered a concussion and several broken bones in her face.

"I was scared in the hospital when I couldn't see anything because my eyes were swollen shut. I was terrified I couldn't play volleyball again."

After a broken orbital bone, cheek bone and nose, she needed emergency surgery. The following months, she needed kidney surgery.

"Volleyball season was coming up, she kept having more surgeries. I'm grateful she is here now. She is ready to play," said senior volleyball player Delany Phillips.

"I'm so thankful we are done with everything. Thankful for everyone around me, supporting me," said McDonald.

Holly wants to play volleyball in college and dreams her big senior year will lead to recruiting attention. he also has an interest in studying medicine.

 While recovering from the accident, Holly took classes to become a certified nurses assistant. This happened over 12 months.

"I started something productive for my future in that moment following the accident. I love it so much. I don't think I would have gone into the medical field or started thinking about it, if it wasn't for my accident."


Comments